Facebook Instagram Pinterest TeachersPayTeachers BlogLovin Home Image Map

March 18, 2012

Play Dough Mats and Other Fun Stuff from Pinterest

Are you as addicted to Pinterest as I am???  I just can't get enough!

I thought I'd share a couple of ideas I found there that I used this past week.

The first one came from a pin by Karen at prekinders.com She posted this darling book of play dough mats that I just had to download.  Here is the one I used this week:

I used it with my articulation kids, and my little ones who are building their vocabularies.  After they said a target word correctly, I gave them one play dough "berry", which they promptly squished on the pie.  They loved it!  One little boy was NOT into pie, so I made him a dump truck.




Aren't these fun?  If you want, you can down load them here and here.  Just print and laminate and you're good to go.

Pinterest is also where I found all these wonderful blogs that have inspired me to become more creative.  Jenna Rayburn over at Speech Room News is a prolific Pinterest pinner with endless creative ideas.  She posted a way for us to make all those wonderful photo collections posted by Heidi Kay at PediaStaff on Pinterest easily accessible with your iPad by using an app called Tapikeo HD.  You can check this app out at the App Store.  Basically it enables you to turn photos into audiobooks, flashcards and communication boards.  Jenna does a fabulous job giving us a step-by-step tutorial on how to use it; check it out here.  I bought the app and quickly realized the possibilities are endless!  Another pin caught my eye:  From Head to Toe Game (by Eric Carle) posted by starfishtherapies.wordpress.com.  A reader of this blog described how she made this activity into a "movie", and I decided to borrow her idea, but use the Tapikeo HD app instead.  Here's what I did:



I took screen shots of the animals in the book From Head to Toes by Eric Carle.  I imported them into a Tapikeo grid, and added my own text and recorded myself reading the text.  I left every other cell blank so I could import photos of a child later.  During our treatment session, I took photos of the child performing the actions as we read the book and imported them right into grid.


We edited the pictures by adding his voice.  The text in the book says "I can do it!" after each action, but he was working on the /r/ sound, so he said, "That's really easy!" instead.  After eight actions were photographed and recorded, we were ready to play back our story.  Here's what it looked like:





Voila! An interactive story completed in about 20 minutes.  He was so proud!  Another fun thing about this app is that you can export your stories to other devices if they have Tapikeo too, so you could share it for home use.  As I said before, the possibilities are endless!

Happy Pinning!

Pam




10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention!! Your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm Jean-Eudes, the dev of Tapikeo HD: thanks a lot to both for your great creativity!
      I'd be very happy to create this grid for free for all Tapikeo users (in next update 3.0, users will be able to download new grids directly from the app). However the initial pictures seem not to be right-free... any idea how I could do?

      Delete
    2. Jean-Eudes, that's a great idea! I think your stories would have to be original, unless you were willing to purchase the rights from the authors. I have some ideas about that. Can you send me an email and we can chat about that further. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I really like yours, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great idea using pictures and movements to create a story. I love any idea that gets children moving with technology. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it Pam! So many possibilities with this one!

    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cherry pie play dough mat was created by me and is from my website here: http://www.prekinders.com/cherry-pie-play-dough-mat/ Glad you enjoyed it! Just wanted to share the correct source of the file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank you for letting me know! I will change the link in this post. And thank you for creating such a great resource!

      Delete
  6. Very well written about play dough mats and other fun stuff. If you want videos of fun stuff app, please download vidmate.This app allows you users to download movies, videos and other content in variety of formats like size, quality and resolution. With this app, users can stream online videos without buffering and download videos without any interruption. Users can also use the app on their 2G or 3G internet network connection. If user is downloading any video then user can stop that downloading and reconnect at any time through download manager. You will get to see many new features in this app.You can also download fun stuff app and Vidmate from 9apps

    ReplyDelete