Facebook Instagram Pinterest TeachersPayTeachers BlogLovin Home Image Map

January 21, 2014

Mitten Craftivity for Preschoolers




This week at Small Talk, we're all about one of my favorite winter stories, The Mitten by Jan Brett.  It's a great story about forest animals who all push their way into a cozy mitten that was dropped in the snow.  I thought I'd share one of the activities we'll be doing with you.  It is this easy mitten "craftivity" that your little ones are sure to love and you can use to cover a variety of goals.



Start by tracing a large mitten shape onto white card stock and cut it out.  Next, cut a smaller mitten shape out from the inside of the mitten, leaving a 1/2"- 1" frame.  Trace the outline of the mitten onto the grid side of a sheet of clear Con-Tact paper and cut it out.  Peel off the grid paper, exposing the sticky side of the Con-Tact paper.  Place your mitten frame on top of the Con-Tact paper mitten, matching the edges.  Place the grid paper back onto the mitten, protecting the sticky surface until you are ready to use it.



Gather up some pieces to stick on your mitten.  I used some snowflakes I made with a paper punch, some squares of white tissue paper, and some pictures of the animals featured in The Mitten.  The animals I used are from a darling graphics collection by KPM Doodles.


Stick the snowflakes and mittens onto the sticky side of the mitten.  Be sure to place the animals face down.


Then, put squares of white tissue paper over the animals and the snowflakes, making sure to cover all of the sticky spots.  Turn it over to see all the animals inside the mitten!  I love this!  It's so easy and so CUTE!

I plan to use this for a variety of goals, including following directions, articulation, vocabulary, basic concepts, and a simple story retell.

What do you think?  Check back later in the week to see what other activities I have planned for my Mitten theme.  Until then, stay warm!


3 comments:

  1. I love this! So timely too because I am reading The Mitten this week an needed another activity to work on choice making, requesting, and vocabulary. Thanks for sharing your ideas! Emily {thespeechpathforkids.com}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this and can't wait to try it with my preschoolers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1st year teacher and this worked perfectly for my kinders.... awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete