Facebook Instagram Pinterest TeachersPayTeachers BlogLovin Home Image Map

December 18, 2012

My Favorite Snow Books

I woke up this morning to a dusting of snow, which fuels excitement like none other here in the Portland Metro area.  What is it about snow?  Is it the fresh, clean newness of everything it covers?  Is it the novelty?  Is it the promise (or hope!)  of a day of play followed by a mug of steaming hot chocolate in front of a fire?  Whatever it is, it is just plain wonderful!

Guess what else it does?  It makes me want to pull out all my favorite books about snow.

Here is my All Time Favorite:  First Snow by Emily McCully.






This is a fantastic picture book that tells a story about a family of mice that go sledding on the day of the first snow.  The beautiful pictures do most of the storytelling, with just a little text on each page leading the way, making it a perfect book for targeting language skills and inferencing.  Many of my kids identify with Bitty, the smallest mouse who is scared at first to go down the snowy hill on her sled, but then wants to go again and again and again.  It is a delight every time I read it.

Another of my favorites is Snow Bugs by David Carter.




This interactive Pop-Up book is always a hit with the kids!  It features many wintery activities such as skating, having snowball fights, sledding and even snowboarding.  It's great for working on those /S/ Blends and a whole variety of language skills.  I can use it with practically every child on my caseload.

Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner is another great one.  It tells the story of what snowmen might do at night, which includes snowball fights, skating, making snow angels and drinking cold cocoa.



 CC over at If I Only Had Super Powers made a wonderful unit as a companion to this book.  You can check it out here.

What are YOUR favorite books about snow?  I'd love to add them to my collection.

Let it snow!!!


Pam

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorites is The Jacket I Wear in the Snow by Shirley Neitzel! The Speech Time Fun blog has a literature unit to go with it. We're still waiting on our snow here in southern Ohio... :/

    ReplyDelete