Facebook Instagram Pinterest TeachersPayTeachers BlogLovin Home Image Map

January 31, 2013

Take Out Topics for Articulation Carryover

One of the hardest things I face as a speech-language pathologist is coming up with effective ways to get my students to generalize their articulation skills to their spontaneous speech.  Anyone else find this difficult???  It seem that they master their sounds in structured treatment activities and even during games, but yet they struggle to make that final leap to using them all the time.  Frustrating!  Here's one thing I'm trying:


Take Out Topics for Articulation Carryover is designed to help students generalize newly mastered speech sounds to their spontaneous speech by using structured conversation topics.

Students bring home a takeout box filled with cards that help facilitate use of their target sound in conversation, along with a Helpful Hints page for parents that explains how to use them.  The cards look like this:

***As of July 2016, this product has been re-designed. Same content, new look! Read on...


Each card either asks a question or instructs the student to tell about certain objects.  Target words are highlighted in blue.  The student takes out one card at a time from the box and reads the card, being careful to use the target sound correctly.  The student then answers the question, again concentrating on saying the target words correctly.

The cards are meant to be a starting point for a conversation around a topic.  Encourage the student to add more to the conversation by asking questions about the topic or sharing the student's opinion about or experience with the topic.

The parent or SLP using this activity should try to have the student use the target words as many times as possible in their responses for each card.  Many of the cards instruct the reader to start or end with a particular phrase, but some do not.  For the ones that do not, try to suggest phrases or sentences to use to help facilitate more opportunities for target use. For example, the card in the photo above instructs the student to tell three things about a golfer and a skater.  You could instruct the student to use separate sentences for each detail and to begin each sentence with, "A golfer/ice skater..."

I send home 10 cards at a time rather than filling the box with 30 cards all at once.  I also practice some of the cards with the child during our treatment sessions so he or she will be familiar with the topic and (hopefully) be more successful when this topic is drawn from the box at home.

This set targets vocalic /r/ in the final position of words and is available at my TPT site.  It includes 30 conversation starter cards, instructions for use, labels for the box and a Helpful Hints page for parents or professionals.  Chinese takeout boxes are readily available at craft stores such as Michaels and usually cost around a buck apiece.  You could use any small box or envelope if you don't have a takeout box...it just won't be as fun.

Guess what?  You gave me feedback, and I listened!  Due to popular request, I made a set of cards for the /ch/ sound that are ready to go!  This set contains 40 cards:  20 initial /ch/, 10 medial and 10 final.  You can find it here.  I'm working on other card sets, too, so check back again soon.

What do you think of this idea?  I'm planning to make more for other sounds and word positions, but I'd like to know what you would use.  Please leave a comment and I'll see what I can come up with.

Have fun!

Pam



9 comments:

  1. Pam, great carryover activity! I actually have a couple of those takeout boxes from Michaels... (I decorate them with stickers and they hold my seasonal artic cards). :) I have added this to my wishlist... and I would add more for these sounds as well: s, z, sh, ch. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I actually was thinking about this today as one of my /s/ kids made a perfect /s/ in her target word but any other /s/ in the sentence was her usual distortion...so frustrating! This and any others you put up will definitely go on my wishlist...s, s blends, l, sh and ch are definitely ones I would be able to use. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea. I struggle to get my older students to return "homework". A take out box like this may draw more attention to get them to respond to it more readily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea! I'm definitely going to download it and try it out. The sounds I work on most are s, z, ch, sh, j, k, g, l and s-blends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your blog. your blog was very helpful for me. Here I want to introduce my business which is related to packaging Food Boxes. Choosing UrgentBoxes for stylish packaging for takeout and deliveries is a good idea. They manufacture quality wholesale custom Chinese takeout packaging boxes and deliver them to your doorstep. Furthermore, they offer one of the best packaging solutions at affordable prices too. In addition to this, they provide free delivery services all over the USA.
    Chinese Takeout Boxes
    Chinese Food Boxes
    Macron boxes
    Urgentboxes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this nice blog it was very interesting useful knowledge. It is really a wonderful treat for me to go through your web content. Here I want to introduce my business which is related to Custom Chinese Takeout boxes. If you are searching for a company to order your ideal Chinese takeout packaging, Rush Packaging is a suitable choice for you. We supply the incomparable customized premium quality Chinese takeout boxes with durability. Prices are economical with free shipment of eloquent boxes with unique designs.
    Popcorn Boxes Wholesale
    Cupcake Boxes Wholesale
    Custom Cereal Boxes
    Custom Burger Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  7. At Orchard packaging, you can get paperboard, Kraft, and card stock material that is also effective and we give you full freedom that you can pick your desired material. Besides, you can completely customize these according to your expected shape, design, and size. We offer you these high-quality and Candle Box Packaging at a reasonable cost.
    Corrugated Box Packaging
    Bath Bomb Packaging
    Personalized Pencil Boxes
    Candle Box Packaging

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post. bloggedtopics.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing product thanks for sharing with us It is very informative. If you need any type of boxes, you can visit the link.
    custom packaging companies
    personalized Chinese Food boxes

    ReplyDelete