Facebook Instagram Pinterest TeachersPayTeachers BlogLovin Home Image Map

November 5, 2012

Shape Monster Book

Years ago, before there were blogs and file sharing, I found a darling little activity on some Boardmaker activity sharing site that I happened to stumble upon.  It  was a Shape Monster book with interactive pieces.  Although it didn't give a step-by-step of how to recreate it, it gave me enough detail for me to make my own.  For years I've been using my Shape Monster set that I made with Boardmaker PCS, but it has become tattered and torn, so it was time to make a new one.  Kids over the years have loved this activity so much that I'd like to share my new version with you.  I've combed the Web looking for that site I found so long ago so I could credit them, but never found it.  I did find a printable version for early readers from Hubbard's Cupboard that was similar though, so maybe this story originated there.

Anyway, here's my version.  I laminated a copy of my shape monster onto a large mailing envelope and cut out the mouth.  I made shapes out of colored foam for the kids to feed the monster his lunch.

The text goes like this:  "Shape Monster, Shape Monster Munch, Munch, Munch!  I want to eat a ___________ for lunch!"  The kids catch on quickly, and love stuffing shapes in his mouth.  It's always a hit!





Isn't that monster cute?  I have KPM Doodles to thank for that.  If you'd like a copy of my Shape Monster Book, you can download it here.


Pam

P.S.  Monsters are NOT just for Halloween!


10 comments:

  1. I love this! I'm going to have my therapists make one and we can use it for gross motor and fine motor activities (anything that gets kids to do repetitions of an activity is great). Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm glad you like it. Check back later in the week because I'm posting an activity to go along with this book called "Stomp, Skip, Spin" which will incorporate gross motor movements with articulation.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this activity! Even though I have a plan for the rest of the week, I REALLY want to print it and use it tomorrow, lol! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say besides THANK YOU! I am new to your sight and I love it. I will be down loading the monsters! I have a 4.5 year old son, Jaime, with Down Syndrome and lots of your stuff is perfect!!!!!!
    Liz Tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Liz! I'm so glad you're finding things you can use. That's exactly why I do this! If I can help even one person with each post, I am happy. Have fun with the Shape Monster book, and let me know how it worked out for you. After reading Starfish Therapy's comment, it made me think about making this activity more gross motor related. Wouldn't it be fun to scatter the shapes around the floor so the children have to stoop to pick them up?

      Delete
  4. I love it!!!!! <3 I love all of your ideas :) I also run a blog. Basically it's for Polish English teachers, but I've got plenty of free printables on my site, and they are in English ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!!!!! <3 I love all of your ideas :) I also run a blog. Basically it's for Polish English teachers, but I've got plenty of free printables on my site, and they are in English ;)

    ReplyDelete