Facebook Instagram Pinterest TeachersPayTeachers BlogLovin Home Image Map

October 26, 2015

Frenzied SLP's: Treats of Halloween Linky



Helloooooo!!! I am honored to be joining the Frenzied SLPs for this Treats of Halloween Language Tricks and Activities Linky Party hosted by Annie of Doyle Speech Works, Laura of All 'Yall Need and Manda and Shanda of Twin Speech Language and Literacy to share some of my favorites!

We made these darling Frankensteins last week in my speech room. I saw several variations of these posted on Pinterest so I decided to give them a try. They were fairly easy to put together and ALL the kids loved them, from preschoolers to upper elementary. You just cut rectangles from black card stock or construction paper, and then cut out the center to make a frame. Make the top edge jagged to look like his hair. From the scraps, cut out eyebrows, crooked smiles and bolts. Cut circles for the eyes out of white paper and draw the eyeballs in the center. Cut a piece of clear contact paper to fit the rectangle and stick it onto the frame. Cut odd-shaped pieces from green tissue paper to fill in the face.

I used these mostly as reinforcers while working on articulation targets. After the kids said their target words/phrases 3-5 times, I gave them a piece to stick on their Frankenstein. They really turned out cute!


I used Frankenstein as a reinforcer for language activities, too. I paired it with my Halloween Flip Book for Adjectives and had the student make up a sentence using the pictures from the book.  This little flip book is great, by the way, for working on adjectives and talking about if the picture pairs are probable. Can flashlights be scary? Why or why not? And here's another treat: it's a freebie! Just click on the link above to find it.


Another thing I love to do in the week leading up to Halloween is practice trick-or-treating. So many of our little ones really need help practicing this routine, and a play house with characters is the perfect way to do it! The house in the picture is from Fisher Price, and it's really fun.


Another thing I'll be using this week are the Halloween-themed pages from my Fall Find It on the Go flip book. These print-and-go pages are fun search and find activities that kids really enjoy and can be used to target multiple goals. The page pictured above is great for working on finding things that go together. I like to have the children tell me why the items go together after they find each pair. So many great language-learning opportunities! Check out this very flexible flip book at my Teachers Pay Teachers store.



One last quick and easy activity I'd like to share is Halloween Block Play.  I attached some cute Halloween-themed pictures to wooden blocks with clear packing tape, and they have been a hit! Here are some ways I've been using them:

  • following directions: Great for positional directions (top, bottom, next to, behind, in front, between, etc.) and temporal directions (before, after, first, last, etc.).
  • Describing object location: Let the child be the teacher and tell YOU where to place the blocks.
  • Storytelling:  Line up several blocks on the table. Have the student tell a story using the blocks as prompts.
And guess what, I have another treat for you...you can find these cute pictures as freebie in my store! You can find it here.

I hope you found a few treats in this post that you can add to your pumpkin-shaped bucketful of language tricks for Halloween.  You can even find MORE treats by heading on over to the other Frenzied SLPs' blogs to check out their tricks and treats. Just click on the links below:



An InLinkz Link-up

21 comments:

  1. You just made my Monday better! I'm going to put several of your ideas to good use this week. Thanks for the freebies and details on making Frankensteins!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love, love love the Frankenstein! Such great ideas-thank you so much for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for hosting the linky :-)

      Delete
  3. I am in love with Frankenstein! That is the neatest craftivity I've ever seen. Mine are definitely ever so messy! I'm inspired! I just adore your find it on the go activities and definitely need to get my hands on one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Sparklle SLP, it IS a very neat activity! No mess at all! I have had caregivers get a little obsessive about keeping the tissue pieces inside the frame though, which makes me laugh. No matter how the child places the pieces, they all turn out great!

      Delete
  4. Awesome activities and ideas! You are amazing and two freebies in one post? I'm ecstatic!!!! Thank you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! But one of those freebies is from an OLD post and is just being recycled. So does that count???

      Delete
  5. I have been wanting to give the Frankenstein a try- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frankenstein is awesome! Also love your practice of trick or treating. When I worked in the schools I gave some candy to a few staff members and had my students with impaired social skills practice trick or treating with them. It's such an important skill to practice. Love it! Also, Halloween blocks? What? Brilliant!!!! Using this one! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great feedback, Maria! Grab that freebie and have fun!

      Delete
  7. I love, love, love the Frankenstein! That will be very motivating for some of my students!
    All Y’all Need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankenstein seems to be a popular guy! Have fun!

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh I love all your ideas! That craft is too cute, and I own your Fall Find it on the Go booklet and it has been fantastic this month! Keep the great ideas coming!

    Abby
    Schoolhouse Talk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! I appreciate the feedback and I'm so happy that Fall Find It on the Go is working well for you :-)

      Delete
  9. AHHHHHH!!! Attaching pictures to blocks- so simple but so genius!! I'm totally stealing this!! We practiced trick or treating as well, but I didn't have this super cute Hallowen playhouse. Now I need it!! I'm going to your store RIGHT NOW to check out your "find it" products. Mind blown, Pam, mind blown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, wow, Mia, that's really an awesome compliment! I never dreamed that this post was mind-blowing! Cool! You've blown MY mind a couple of times, so I'm glad I could return the favor :-)

      Delete
  10. By the way, Pam, I just had to send this link to the grad student I'm supervising. It has really got my wheels spinning for some of our students!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Frankensteins are soooo stinkin' cute! I don't know that mine would turn out that cute, though.
    Fantastic idea with the blocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I don't know how you could mess up Frankenstein...they turn out really cute no matter where you place the pieces. Give it a try!

      Delete